Can we have a chat about gluten? It will be quick, promise.
It’s no secret that gluten has gotten quite the bad rep over the past few years, and there are all sorts of debates as to whether or not it’s actually “bad” for you. As with most diet/nutrition-related issues, this is one where my opinion falls in the middle (unless of course you have Celiac Disease, le duh). While I’m personally not 100% gluten-free, I avoid it when I can, and when I don’t have to sacrifice flavor or texture to do so.
Not to mention that in a lot of cases – especially when it comes to baking – using gluten-free ingredients (such as oats, nuts, etc.) can make things healthier by adding extra nutrients and fiber.
That’s what I was going for with this Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, and I must say…I nailed it.
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour *
- 1/3 cup almond flour **
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 medium/large bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
* Or grind regular oats in the Magic Bullet for about 10 seconds – that’s what I did and it worked great. Also make sure to use strictly gluten-free oats if you have a serious gluten allergy.
** I used Almond Pro almond flour, which has an extra punch of protein. Score!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a nonstick loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed banana, eggs, and honey.
- Then mix in the oat flour, almond flour, flax, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing…or at least try to 😉
You guys…THIS is what banana bread should be like. It’s the perfect amount of sweetness and all sorts of soft & chewy. And, as much as I hate to use what seems to be the most despised word on the planet…it’s super moist.
SORRY SORRY SORRY. But seriously, would you look at that?
Not only is this banana bread gluten-free, but it’s also very low in added sugar (just 1/4 cup of honey) as most of the sweetness comes from the bananas. Nature’s candy, if you will.
Of course the addition of chocolate takes this banana bread to the next level, but you could omit it or replace with nuts, dried fruit, etc.
As always, if you try any of my recipes I’d love to know what you think! Tag me on Instagram @Hungry.Blonde 🙂
You Might Also Like:
My “Can’t Live Without” Gluten-Free Products
Skinny Pizza Pasta Bake
Gluten Free S’more Brownie Cupcakes
4 Ingredient Healthy Brownies
2 Ingredient Cookies
Vegan & Gluten Free Pumpkin Loaf
Apple Cinnamon N’Oatmeal