Every new year I consider jumping on the bandwagon for whatever the latest fad diet is. It’s definitely tempting, considering I ate more sugar in the month of December than I probably should have in an entire year. But then I remember that diets just aren’t for me. Even the “easiest” or “most scientifically backed” ones…I just can’t bring myself to restrict myself from one of my favorite things – FOOD!
With that being said, I’m still a proponent of moderation, and I think it’s totally possibly to make healthier versions of favorite treats. These Chocolate Covered Banana Pops do just that. The frozen bananas have the consistency of an ice cream pop, and the chocolate coating is very magic shell-like. All for just about 200 calories a pop.
To make, here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dark, milk, whichever you prefer!)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- toppings of choice (I use coconut, crushed pistachios, and rainbow sprinkles)
- 6 popsicle sticks
- Cut the bananas in half and put the popsicle stick halfway into one of the ends.
- In a stovetop pot, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil, stirring well.
- Dip the banana pops into the melted chocolate and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet or plate.
- Sprinkle on or roll the pops in your toppings of choice.
- Freeze for at least 3 hours.
It doesn’t get much easier than that! Wrap the pops individually in plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to a week.