For the past year or so, I’ve kinda sorta been obsessed with toast. It all started when avocado toast became the trendy “it” food in NYC and beyond (which I totally fell for), but it led me to see the once boring bread-and-butter breakfast in a whole new way.
Here’s why I think toast is the perfect breakfast + tips to take toast to the next level.
1. It’s quick and convenient.
I mean, it doesn’t get much easier than throwing bread into the toaster and adding some toppings. TIP: Store your bread in the freezer to keep it fresh + always have on hand.
2. It’s versatile.
There are a million and one ways to make toast. You can try different breads and all sorts of different toppings.
3. It’s balanced.
Depending on the toppings you use, toast gives you a healthy balance of carbs, fat and protein to start your day off on the right foot. TIP: Choose a hearty, healthy bread. Lately I’m a huge fan of Free Bread.
4. It’s perfect for the texture lover.
I’m a big texture person, which I think is the main reason I love toast so much. I just can’t get enough of the combo of crunchy bread with some sort of creamy topping.
Speaking of toppings, here are my favorite combo ideas:
- mashed avocado + chili flakes + crushed pistachios + black pepper + sea salt
- peanut butter + banana + chia seeds
- hummus + sundried tomatos + black pepper + sea salt
- mascarpone cheese + blueberry preserves
- cream cheese + smoked salmon + black pepper + dill
- crunchy almond butter + raspberry preserves
- mashed avocado + soft boiled egg + sea salt + Sriracha
- ricotta cheese + sliced pear + sliced fig + drizzle of honey
- cashew butter + sliced apple
- beet hummus + sliced cucumber + black pepper